Voltage drop causes the lights farthest from the transformer to become dimmer than the other lights.
Voltage drop can be minimized in various ways …
- Upgrade to energy efficient LED fixtures
- Utilize a heavier gauge cable
- Install a higher capacity transformer
- Consider using multiple transformers
- Shorten your cable length/run
- Reduce individual fixture wattage
- Reduce the total number of fixtures on a run
Voltage drop actually works to your advantage if differences in lamp brightness levels add a desired look and feel to your installation. Remember… bulbs with lower voltage will last longer, requiring less replacement.
Proper low voltage connections are essential for a successful installation. We recommend a splice which is joined by a waterproof connector such as King or Ideal Brand. These connectors are filled with silicone or a dielectric material to provide protection to the splice from the elements. Please consult the manufacturers guidelines for detailed instructions.